Saturday, November 15, 2008

Oh the places you'll go...and have been

Let me preface this blog by saying that I love living in Birmingham. It's such a great place with loads of fun things to do. The weather is great, there are actually seasons, it's wonderful. However, every now and then, I get a bit nostalgic for the simpler college times back in the good old M-O-B. I look back I realize how much I took everything for granted. I have decided to compile a random list, in no particular order, of the great and wonderful things I miss about college/Mobile.

1. My sweet wonderful family and friends. I LOVE my friends in Birmingham (Lucy, Dom, Tiley, etc. etc.) and my wonderful sister Leigh and brother-in-law Matt who are here, but I can't help but long for the days of living in the Chi O house and being right down the hall or in the same room as or right across the yard of some of my very best friends ever. Being able to go to my mom's house and sit and do nothing when the "stress of life" got to be too much. The crappy thing about growing up is that you have friends and family spread out everywhere. I vote we all have a reunion in Mobile during Christmas...maybe for my birthday?! Any takers? Come on...


Some snap shots of the lovely people of my life...




2. FOOD. Everyone who knows me knows that I love food. I don't have what some would call a "mature taste" but I definitely have an appreciation for the simpler foods. I also love to go out to eat. It's just something about sitting with your friends, enjoying good food and delicious cold drinks that just feels right. There are some deeeeelicious places to eat here in the Ham, there is no doubt about it, but I miss Foosacklys, Butch Cassidy's, Mellow Mushroom, The Oyster House, Los Rancheros, the list goes on. I can't wait for Thanksgiving break so I can hit up at LEAST 2-3 of these lovely hot spots.


3. The University of South Alabama. Now, I don't miss going to school. I've always been a firm believer that college would be a lot cooler if classes didn't get in the way, but I miss the CAMPUS of USA. I miss the piers there, the Chi O house, picnic benches, playing racquetball, sneaking foreigners in TO play racquetball, the Delta Deli, heck, I even miss the student center (which employed myself and many others for a little over a year). I miss being a part of groups and thinking I am "so busy." What I wouldn't give to be "that busy" again. I barely have time to think. And believe me, I know there are about 2342908234 people out there far busier than me at the moment...since I have taken over an hour puttin this post together. :)




4. The Guilt Free days of Doing Absolutely Nothing...and Loving it. Now, I still do this on occassion (but I rarely get to sit and enjoy it because I'm always thinking of the 17000 things I should be doing), but it seems as if when I was in Mobile, I always had someone to sit around and watch endless hours of movies/television with.

5. Grace Community Church. I love that place. When I was in Mexico in summer of 07, the Lord truly convicted and convinced me of the importance of the church as a believer. It's been said by
many that the church isn't just a building, it's the people in it. This is the best way I can describe this wonderful church. I love the people, I love what it stands for, the teaching, the music, it's laid back feel. I miss it every Sunday, but I know the Lord will give me a church here in Birmingham that I love just as much as Grace.



I'm sure there is so much more that I miss and love about Mobile, but I know the Lord has a divine and wonderful plan for ever season of life He brings us into. I feel like my life always comes back to Psalm 16:11 "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Wherever I am and whatever I am doing, I need to remember and believe the goodness of the Lord. He is always in my presence, filling me with His wonderful joy. I know in a few years, I'm going to look back on this time in my life and long for things to be as simple as they are now, but for now I want to remember fondly the amazing people I've met, places I've been, and things I have done...and look forwards to all the things to come.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Shrop,
I just got a little nostalgic with you whether you knew it or not. I can relate to every example you gave---I was literally nodding my head in agreement! I miss those times and yet I'm still here. The MOB is definately a little less brighter sans you in it. Come back! So over T-giving h-days I am volunteering myself to bite the bullet and hit up any and all places to your very seasoned taste. I miss you friend. I'm gonna need a Joey/Ross reunion asap. Word. Love you!!!!! And yes, Ralph S. Mouse and The Mouse and The Motorcycle are one in the same. Nice call compadre :)

Anonymous said...

Shrop, Mobile has a special place in my heart too. I miss the good ole days!

Lauren said...

Oh Shrop,

I loved reading your post...I 'dittoed' you as I read. So when you come into town in 9 days we will be reunited and it will be awesome...I'll go anywhere but the Foo, but you already knew that. Love you!