Friday, November 7, 2008

Heads up-7 Up

I feel like the Lord let me be a teacher for no other reason than the fact that kid stories really have to be my favorite genre of stories ever. The things they say, do, and think, constantly leave me puzzled, perplexed and undoubtedly dumbfounded.

So today was Friday. Friday at school means you finish up the week, give a spelling test, continuously bribe them with rewards of stickers/cookies/candy/books to try and keep noise level at a dull roar, and obviously Friday is Friday FUNday. Well, this Friday happened to be a bit of a rainy, chilly Friday, at least when it came time to go to recess.

On rainy recess days, instead of going straight from lunch to the playground, we go take a bathroom break and go back to the classroom to play a fun rainy recess game. You know, a little 4 corners, doggy doggy where's your bone, and my personal favorite, Heads Up-7 Up. Well this particular game of HU-7U started out on a bit of a bad note. 3 kids were left sitting out due to "loud lunchroom volume" and blatant shouting in the hallway during our bathroom break. So I was left with 14 kids playing for the 1st couple of rounds. Finally I let everyone join.

I love playing games with my kids cause their reaction when someone guesses them or gets things wrong is priceless. It's very hard for me to remain an "adult" in the situation when how I really want to react is, "NOPE! WROOOOOOOONG!" "Sit doooooown!" "Maaaaaybe next time!"

Anywho, back to my ORIGINAL story. We were on about the 4th or 5th round of HU-7U (ok, so maybe rainy recess sometimes lasts a little bit LONGER than outside recess, but I don't see any recess police around coming after me) when one of the funniest kids in my class gets to join us in the picking of 7's. I mean this kid is hilarious. The faces he makes, the things he says. He is one of those kids who will give you a hug 17 times a day because he knows he is in trouble and KNOWS he is cute and tries to manipulate you with it. He constantly calls me sweetie pie and baby doll and I'm constantly telling him, "You can't say that. It's inappropriate," to which he responds with, "Ok, baby! *wink*" No exaggeration.

Anywho, everyone put their heads down and I sent the pickers to do some upping. He went, he picked, and came to the front with me. He was standing beside me, but kind of a little behind me with another girl who is also very cute and says the most insane things as well. It's like she thinks it, she says it. Well, the two of them are the only ones up there with me, when all of a sudden I hear this muffled gurgley noise. I'm just thinking one of them is swishing spit around in their mouth making a "mouth noise" (which have become the BAIN of my existence as a teacher), so I turn around to ask them to stop when one of the funniest things that has happened this year, happened. I turn around and this is the conversation that insued:

Me: *turn around to ask them to stop*
Boy and Girl: *Both have huge eyes and odd grins on their face*
Me: *I give a look as if to say, "Um what was that."*
Girl: *whispering and with a straight face* "Well he told me to pull his finger!"
Boy: *Looks at me shrugging his shoulders and whisper yells* "I couldn't hold it in!"

AND THAT MOMENT, my friends, is when I lost it. I reacted as if it was one of my good friends who just told me that and I looked at him with my mouth opened, shocked, and then broke out into a silent fit of laughter. They start laughing, he starts wafting the gaseous release everywhere, other children are wondering what is happening, however can't pick their heads up to see because of the strenuous game of HU-7U going on and I have to beg/bribe the both of them not to tell anyone else what just happened.

Shortly after the gurgly toot, the game ended, but everytime I looked at the both of them the rest of the day, I just shook my head and laughed, while they just winked at me and made a weird faces. Farts are somewhat of a constant occurence in my room, though. It's bad. Awful. Silent, loud, violent, you name it, it happens. However, every time one occurs, and is audible, I cannot help but to die laughing. I am 23, almost 24 years old and farts still amuse me. And I wonder why people can't take me seriously...


P.S. I know my stories are SO LONG and dramatic, but I always feel the need to give background information so they can be appreciated even more.
So deal with it. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shrop, I totally appreciate the dramatic commentary! Cracks me up!