Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unpack your Magic Number 3 in the Great American Melting Pot

Does this title confuse you? If you were a fan of School House Rock, then you might actually not be confused. That sentence alone leaves room for confusion, but I digress. ANYWHO, I have always owed the bulk of my knowledge of anything to School House Rock. Those who know me more than likely can attest to the fact that I am auditory learner...frighteningly auditory. You put anything to a song, and I can learn it. I'm not bragging, do not be fooled, because I might not actually know what or be able to "explain" the information I "retained", but so help me I can sing it to you. My sister Amber and brother Sheldon (sorry Leigh, odd one out) are the same. I distinctly remember listening to this tape on the times tables every morning on the way to school in elementary school so that Amber could learn them, and I was probably the only 1st grader who could tell you their 7 times tables, but not have a clue what I was talking about. To the same effect, I was the only kid in kindergarten who knew their 50 states (well in my class anyway) because my brother and sisters learned a "50 Nifty United States" song for chorus and they would practice it at home, so I just picked it up. That little ditty has helped me out a number of times, I tell ya.

So anyway, we've been talking about adjectives at school, so I decided to go raid the movie drawer at school and I stumbled upon The Best of School House Rock! and I was so excited because not only did it have the song "Unpack Your Adjectives" (which is aplicable to what we are learning right now) but pretty much every other SHR song that I love. And to make it better, my kids loved it. I told them that I learned most everything I know from School House Rock, so they said they concluded they don't actually have to listen to me anymore, and are now convinced the only reason I was able to become a teacher is because I listened to School House Rock. I tried to explain it to them, but it just got too hard, so I quit and just pressed play.

So now I decided to take you back to the old school (literally) and share with you some of my favorite SHR songs.

In the area of Grammar...

What's NOT to love about this song? I mean, ok the graphics are poor, but come on, this is an amazing song.


Any person you can know, any place that you can go, and anything that you can show...oh those crazy nouns.


Lolly, Lolly, Lolly...


Oh, those and but and or, they really DO get you pretty far


All I know about the government and how our country came to be, I owe to these next few songs.

Preamble...helped me out tremendously in 5th grade when I had to memorize it


NOW I know how a Bill becomes a law...and whenever I'm in doubt, I always refer back to this song


I really just did this one for Dominique...because she loves it.


The true bane of my existence...mathematics.

According to my kids, this was a "sweet one." So weird.


I mean, dang, I'm adult and this one helped me out...interest...what??


Could've gone on forever, but I felt like I've shared enough. What are your favs? OR maybe you're secretly judging me for being a 24 year old adult posting School House Rock...that's cool...keep that to yourself.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Shrop!!!
You are the Queen of Auditory learning. Case in point: When I was Recruitment Chair, you were the go-to girl and temporary song chair because we couldn't remember jack...What would we do without you? lol
I read this last night and had the trippy line "3 is a magic number" stuck in my head...not to mention "conjunction junction what's your function" and "lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here." Just a note: When I was a child I thought the words were "Lolly, lolly, lolly get your head checked here." I think that means something, but I'm not gonna try and analyze it.

Love you!!!

Lauren said...

Shrop, I love you and this...you are an auditory learner for sure! I'm convinced that if it's put to a song, you can learn it :)
Love you and miss you, Shrop!