Sunday, February 22, 2009

Picasso? Not so much.

Let's go ahead and write it down that the month of February, as far as school has been concerned, has been the exact OPPOSITE of awesome. This week, especially Friday definitely added to the non-awesome of it all. Allow me to elaborate.

Friday afternoon my kids go to art. They are a pretty well behaved group of kids, outside of the fact that they can't ever, and I mean EVER close their mouths for 5 seconds and think before they act. I really think there is something in about 8-10 of their genetic make up that makes them unable to hear practical and informational bits of advice from those older. It is literally as if they get inside the head of the person giving directions (mostly me) and hear me think "I sure HOPE no one does THIS," and they do the very thing I do not want done. It's really quite amazing.

Anyway, I go to pick up my kids from art, and I hear a child being fussed at. I definitely hear the phrases, "Dry it up," and "I don't want to hear it," so I automatically know said kid is crying. This said kid (we will call him Boy) weeps uncontrollably ev-er-y-time he gets in trouble. He is one of the tallest kids in the class, yet is the most sensitive. He tattles and disobeys and is yet so SHOCKED when he has to move his clothespin (the consequence for not making "smart choices." Earlier that day, Boy had to move his clothespin for blatantly farting on the carpet and rolling around laughing about it during center time. He thought it was hilarious, but soon starting crying when he got in trouble. Unbelievable. But back to art--so I hear Boy getting in trouble, so I know I'm in for tons of fun when I pick him up. When the door the art room opens, Boy's face is the first face I see...and do you want to know what I saw?

PAINT. ALL. ON. HIS. FACE. Paint! Boy had apparently taken his thumb and painted it while the teacher wasn't looking then proceeded to wipe the paint all on his cheeks. AND THEN, when he was repremanded, in standard fashion, begin to cry. I saw him and immediately pointed to hallway for him to go out there and said one word to him: "RED." This means he moves his pin to red which is pretty much the worst. This word sent him into a frenzy of tears and wailing and knashing of teeth. Ok, maybe there was no knashing, but there were tears and wailing. I mean, he carried on all the way back to our classroom. You would've thought I was pinching him. I wasn't going to let him in my room until he calmed down, and he never did. I tried to talk calmly with him but he just kept on and kept on, so I told him we were all going to have snack; he could join us whenever. He finally went to the bathroom and washed his face and came in to sit down. I have absolutely no sympathy for Boy. He drives me nuts. He told me he was now not going to get any birthday presents or a party because he had a red day. Most of you might feel bad and then just move his pin back; well not me. The truth is, he'll get whatever he wants and there is no way I am being manipulated into thinking otherwise. Call me mean, call me insensitive. I just refused to have one pulled over on me by a young William Wallace (you know, the paint, on the face...not a good reference).

I am hoping the month will get better. This Friday kicks of the Spring 2009 concert tour. We'll be heading to ATL to see Ben Folds at the Tabernacle. The rest of the tour consists of these other fantastic acts.

April 11-Flight of the Conchords
April 20-Dave Matthews Band
April 27-Ray LaMontagne

With possibly the Avvett Brothers, Ben Kweller, and various other artists sprinkled here and there. It's gonna be amaaaaaaaazing. Expect pictures and full reports. Until then...

1 comment:

Emily said...

Just stumbled onto your blog from the Black's and saw your comment about the artists you heard. If you like Ben Kweller, you may like Greg Summerlin. He's a fan of Ben Kweller (though I personally have never heard Ben's music, so I don't know if he and Greg are similar). Greg's a friend of mine from Briarwood. He's doing a show at Workplay sometime in May, I think. It'll be a Thursday night.