Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hardcandy Christmas in Dixie

I just thought I would combine 2 delightful Christmas songs to create one awesome title. So, yes, Christmas break is coming to a close. I had a good first grown up Christmas break. Christmas is different when you're an adult. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is still wonderful and great and will always be my favorite holiday, but it's just different. You get excited about getting plates and robes and pajama pants (all of which I looooove, especially the robe).

Anyway, we did have some childlike moments on Christmas. My sister Leigh and her husband got a Wii (which is awesome and my arms are officially sore from playing it for 4 days in a row). My mom also got a bike (found by my sweet and kind brother in law). A beautiful baby blue old school bike. And she loves it. However, we forbid her to ride it until she went up the road to the Super Secret Wal Mart and bought a helmet. She says it's one of her favorite gifts ever.

We didn't get to stay and play with all our toys long because My mom, my two sisters Amber and Leigh, and myself had to drive to Harlingen, TX the next day at 5:30 in the AM. We were going to see my brother Sheldon, his very pregnant wife Kristin and my two nieces Karissa and Kamryn. In case you didn't know that is a 12.5 hour drive. A very long drive across 3 very ugly states. Sorry for the residents of Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, but there is not much scenery to see along it's lovely coasts.

Throughout our journey we learned some interesting things. For example, Amber thought that when an exit off the interstate said EXIT ONLY, that meant you can only exit there and you cannot get back on the interstate from that location. True story. We also realized you cannot steal others wireless internet while going 75 mph through the city of Houston. We also realized it's important to not sing inappropriate songs while your mother is trying to navigate through the hustle and bustle of Houston. It may result in you being "cussed." In fact, this conversation followed after making it safely through Houston.

Mom: See, Leigh, we made it. You were a fine navigator And I did NOT cuss you.
Leigh: Um, you said you were going to bitch slap me.
Mom: Oh...well...hmm.

We did safely make it to Texas and had lots of fun. I taught my niece Kamryn some lines from Pearl the Landlord (non of the bad words...I'm not that bad of an aunt. However, I did teach her how to say, "I need to get my drink on" which I know is bad, but come on, it was funny). I had a great birthday and my brother grilled out steaks and we had cake and I got presents and it was awesome. We had so much fun together and I hated to leave...mainly because I didn't want to spend another 13+ hours in the car (yes, the ride home was longer than the ride there). There are some stories I could tell from it, but for the sake of my family and their reputation, I will keep them to myself.

And now I must get back to the real world of 1st grade, but before I go, I leave you with some pictures from our trip. Enjooooy.


How we spent most of our trip...well...how I spent most of mine. Watching friends and various movies.



Kamryn and Karissa helping me open my presents...they're so thoughtful. I think they thought the presents were theirs.



Brother and sisters. Amber, Sheldon, Leigh, and me.



Sisters. Karissa and Kamryn. They're the cutest.



We went to the park on my birthday. Kamryn loooves the slide.



Apparently Karissa gets in trouble frequently in her Pre-K class for this act. Well, since she was with us, we didn't care. However, when her dad got there and saw her doing this, he was not pleased. Whoops.



Karissa being silly at the dinner table. I just think this picture is so cute and funny.



Kamryn had no idea I was taking a picture. This is just her natural eating face. I have never seen a child love sweets more than me, but she does. I have met my match.

1 comment:

Leigh Vought said...

Oh the memories of this Christmas. I must admit, it was a fun time. I enjoyed mom saying she was going to bitch slap me and the lovely ride to Texas and of course the Wii!! Good job sis!